Ringing

Every time I go to a gig, a little part of the audio engineer in me chips away and suffers a slow death. One knows clearly that the sound pressure levels at a rock concert are extremely high. Exposure to this loudness will just contribute to hearing loss over time, unfortunately. There is a way to protect yourself from going deaf by using earplugs.
However, I don't like using ear plugs because all I'd hear then is the low end only and very little high end, which means I won't be getting the full sonic spectrum of the band's performance. I've tried and I've learnt how to compromise a little though. I'd wear earplugs during the opening bands and take them our during the headliners. It's not the best solution, but until I get used to earplugs fully, this will do.
Yesterday was different at Saosin. I forgot my earplugs and it was a little out of reach to buy myself a pair of earplugs. So I thought to myself, "the three bands that are on for the night are good anyway, going without earplugs won't be that bad".
It turned out that I couldn't be more wrong. I haven't been to gigs for a while now and suddenly going without earplugs just wasn't the best idea. It was way louder than I thought and my ears hurt. Furthermore, I didn't really know what to expect since I've not been to The Billboard before this.
It's almost 24 hours now since the gig and my ears are still ringing. This can't be good. We'll see...
______________________________________________________
Broken Scar's album, Midnight In St. Kilda is available on www.mytracks.com/brokenscar

0 Responses to “Ringing”

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.