Gleek


I was beginning to think that Glee was getting a bit boring until watching the finale earlier tonight. It turns out there was a big bang that made it good finale material after all. New Directions' performance was amazing! I thought Vocal Adrenalin's version of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was pretty good at the start until Jesse started singing Freddie Mercury's solo parts. Oh man, what a train wreck! This is the danger of covering such a monumental song because if you don't do it right, you will wreck it for people like me.

*Side note. Most musos would know songs like Stairway To Heaven or Sweet Child O Mine inside out but not me. I decided not to go anywhere near those songs at all because if I do, I'll just end up wrecking such monumental anthems!


Back to Glee,
I think you'd have to do something really different to make it original like Lady Gaga's Poker Face in the Theatricality episode. I really liked that version of the song. When I heard it the first time, it hit me immediately that although Lea Michelle sounds good, Idina Menzel clearly has more experience and you can hear it in her voice. The difference was like night and day.

I think the best episode for me was Vitamin D
and I really liked the arrangement for the guys' mash-up of Bon Jovi's It's my life and Usher's Confessions Part II. Somehow, the newer songs seem to sound better than the classic ones. I guess the classics have just been around so long that they have made their mark so clear. The songs on this musical comedy are definitely hit and miss, but at the end of the day, the arrangers are the ones that deserve the credit as they are the highlight for me.

On the down side, there's been a lot of criticism about the overuse of auto-tune and I have to agree that it annoys the heck out of me. Don't get me wrong, I am not against auto-tune, I just hate it when it's overused. It doesn't need to be too perfect, I mean, no human being sings like that. Oh, and I really can't stand Corey Monteith's voice too. He sounds terrible, even the worst Backstreet Boy sounds better than him. Welcome to the pop world eh?

Before I write a thesis out of this, here's something which is auto-tune free and is sheer raw talent.



I also found an interesting cover of Bohemian Rhapsody. It's definitely different but I guess whether it is good or not is subjective eh?



______________________________________________________
All Broken Scar's music is available on www.reverbnation.com/brokenscar

Labels:

2 Responses to “Gleek”

  1. # Blogger iamamonkeysoareyou

    I watched Glee once. They destroyed Van Halen's Jump.....by singing the Oberheim OB-Xa synth parts, whilst jumping up and down on giant matresses. Killed it for me.

    The audacity and nerve!

    -dan-  

  2. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    Yeah bro, I think they pretty much destroyed all the rock songs for me. I can't believe they can even mess up Beth from KISS! I missed the Van Halen one and I intend to keep it that way. LOL. No point watching it. The only thing that really impresses me is the arrangements of the songs, but not the actual execution. :)  

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.