Scored



Malaysia has always strived to be visible in the eyes of the world and tried to be bigger and better. There was the KL Tower, Putrajaya and now we’re sending our very own Spaceboy on a taxi ride into space! We’re a country that wants to be famous.

Recently, there’s been great hype about an article written by the Australian economist Michael Backman, commenting on Malaysia’s economical state. Oh, make that two articles from Mr. Backman by the way. We’ve been getting a lot of press coverage. Like the old saying in the entertainment world goes, “any publicity is good publicity.”

So what’s this I’m going on about? Did I suddenly become a politician? Not at all. I was just going about my own business today and I decided to head to Borders to read a few magazines and guess what? I picked up the usual magazines that I read, the guitar and music stuff, found a comfortable chair, sat down and started flipping and reading through the articles in Rhythm a drum magazine. Then, I looked at the cover of Revolver Magazine and something caught my eye. I say the word “Malaysian” on the front cover, not the headlines, but it was on the front cover nonetheless! Everything else just faded away as my eyes fixated on the word “Malaysian”.

So I browsed the entire magazine to find out what all this is about. Did a band from our country make it big? Note that Revolver Magazine is the world’s loudest rock magazine based in New York. This was a big deal!

Then I came across an Asian looking black metal band and read on. It turns out that the band was a Taiwanese band. So I continued flipping the pages.

After a few pages, lo and behold, Malaysia made it to one of the main articles in the magazine. “2006: The Year In Hard Rock.” They wrote about the black metal issue and how the cops detained 400 gig-goers during the infamous Paul’s Place, New Year’s Eve incident. They also wrote about how some international Death Metal bands fell victim to the banning of Black Metal music in Malaysia. Poor guys. Getting all mixed up in a sweeping ban, thanks to our highly educated cencorship board.

The write-up wasn’t long, but did I mention that a New York based magazine wrote about Malaysia? Oh, I did. Unfortunately, Revolver’s website doesn’t contain the article I just mentioned but if you can get your hands on it, go for it. The cover looks like the picture above. It’s worth a good hearty laugh.

We’re visible in the eyes of the world alright. Malaysia is famous!

0 Responses to “Scored”

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.