Redemption

I was arranging my DVD collection the other day and I wondered why the heck I bought all those DVDs in the first place. I asked myself, "Do I really need to buy these DVDs since I only ever watch a movie once and never revisit the DVD again?" Then I told myself, maybe I should start renting DVDs from now on. Watch a movie once and leave it at that. This will save me money and space.

Two days ago, I was flipping channels and boy was Australian TV boring. Well, I can't really compare because in Malaysia, I had ASTRO and in Australia I don't have Foxtel, the ASTRO equivalent. After channel surfing for a while, I landed on one of the channels screening Shawshank Redemption! That was when I got hooked. It was already showing halfway and I was too tired to watch the whole thing.

So yesterday I dug into my DVD collection and found the movie! I knew I had to watch it from the beginning one more time.

The first time I watched this film was at a friend's place over lunch. When the time came for me to go back to work, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. So I ended up borrowing the DVD.

I watched it immediately from where I left off. It was an awesome piece of work! I watched it a second time shortly after the first. It's a pretty long movie too.

It's funny how much you can learn from just a movie. There are so many technical things I could learn from Shawshank, like the audio production, script writing and the list goes on. But that's not what I'm on about today.

I found the concepts in the movie very interesting. There are so many parallels you could draw between prison life and life in general. The idea of the Shawshank prison is like a big metaphor for something that can imprison us in life.

I particularly liked the part when Red was talking about being "institutionalised". I also liked the part when Andy Dufresne said that it took him to come to prison to be a crook. I particularly enjoyed Morgan Freeman's narration.

It's also interesting how Andy took on a "project" by writing letters to the powers that be to get funds and eventually start a library. "In prison a man will do anything to keep his mind occupied", Red said. Then he moved on to tutor/teach Tommy, the new kid to get his diploma. How much of it was out of pure good intentions and how much of it was just taking on a new "project". It was quite interesting to see that relationship. When someone does something good it doesn't always mean it is selfless.

Here's another part of the movie I am very fond of.

Andy Dufresne: That's the beauty of music. They can't get that from you... Haven't you ever felt that way about music?
Red: I played a mean harmonica as a younger man. Lost interest in it though. Didn't make much sense in here.
Andy Dufresne: Here's where it makes the most sense. You need it so you don't forget.
Red: Forget?
Andy Dufresne: Forget that... there are places in this world that aren't made out of stone. That there's something inside... that they can't get to, that they can't touch. That's yours.
Red: What're you talking about?
Andy Dufresne: Hope.

I think Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite movies, judging that it is one of the few movies I actually bother to watch more than just once.


______________________________________________________
Broken Scar's album, Midnight In St. Kilda is available on www.mytracks.com/brokenscar

0 Responses to “Redemption”

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.