Sticky: Leaving For Melbourne

Dear Friends,

I don't quite know how and where to start writing this to you so I'll just jump right into it.

Many said that 2006 was going to be a challenging year, what not with the price hike in almost everything but to me, the first half of it has been nothing but a fantastic ride. It's like running a race since January, non-stop till now, working on my day job as well as my music. God has laid such a wonderful path for me to run and I loved every single bit of the entire journey. It was hectic and tiring but very worth it.

I received a Confirmation of Enrolment to SAE Melbourne in June to finish up my degree in Audio Engineering. In the past few months, I've been juggling my third major task, which includes securing a spot in the college, running around with the applications, making endless calls and emails to the college, making applications for the visa, medical check ups and all the necessary arrangements and preparations to leave for Melbourne. It has been nerve wrecking waiting around for the approvals, doing everything for the very first time in my life but it has sped up my learning curve.

There is more to do from now till I leave and if it all goes well, I will be leaving for Melbourne in mid September.

"But wait, if you leave, what about the whole music thing you have here?" asks dD.

Now this question hits the spot. It's been something I've been struggling with all year. I started this Broken Scar journey in 1998 when I first wrote Scratch. I've been working hard and I gave my all into my music. I secured a day job for two reasons, 1, because I love audio engineering and everything that goes on behind the scenes when it comes to music and 2, because my salary will be able to fund my music endeavors. I cannot say that I've made it because I have not but I'm enjoying the hike towards that. I am proud of what I've done and achieved with all of this hard work and effort. I feel like it is finally paying off. This is in no way a snobbish statement or anything. I am happy with where I am and that I have come this far.

It has been a dream come true. Making my album because one day I can look back and even if I don't manage to make a second album, I can say, "hey, I've made an album and I fully own it". Scratch, Down and Soul reaper has gained airplay. Scratch has hit number one on several charts. Broken Scar is nominated for an Anugerah Era. All these things are huge to me!

But here's the best part. I've made many good friends along the way both musicians and non- musicians.

I wouldn't have been able to get this far and do all these things without any of them and hey, you know who you are.

Alda has been one of the key people through these past few years. I wouldn't have been able to get to where I am if it weren't for the wise and insightful advice he offered coupled by long conversations, weighing out the pros and cons before making decision. It was good that I could run anything by him from day one. When he first got involved in the project, he has been nothing but a blessing to me. This guy is dedicated man. Musically, the chemistry is perfect. I didn't have to tell him what to do and he had all the freedom to put his own flavour into the songs. As friends, we discussed about this whole leaving for Melbourne and leaving this Broken Scar project behind issue.

Manshaan is one of the most diverse drummers I've come to know and be friends with. He's one heck of a talented metal drummer and we tamed and toned him down to play mellow with us.

Paul Chuah. This guy is like the most hardworking guitarist I know. He recorded a whole demo of Scratch with his guitar parts on it, did the pre-production work at home, and showed it to me to see if it's okay before actually recording those parts. Thanks bro.

Zack Kim. The most creative and insane guitarist I know. Not to mention one of the fastest too! Despite all that, he is the most humble and down to earth guy you'll ever meet.

Alex Ang. A great friend and musician. Talented like nobody's business! We could just jam a 7 song set twice and head out for a gig. Oh, he never even really knew the titles or the songs before that. Again, a guy who does his homework. Good on you Alex!

Shelley Leong. It's funny how we actually met for the first time for a movie. Az Samad, thanks for teaching me how to play “Latah Setinggan”. Oh, thanks for all the tips and advice.

Jerral, it was really cool having played with you for gigs.

Zalila Lee. Thanks for the all the honest, uncensored advice and constructive criticism. I believe that only real friends will tell you the truth and it has helped me a great deal.

There are heaps of musicians that meant a lot to me. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the list will go on too long. You know who you are.

The Troubadours, Sei Hon, Jerome and Azmyl. I wouldn't have been playing as many acoustic shows if it weren't for you guys. All these shows at La Bodega and KLPac has crafted me to be the singer-songwriter I am today. Thanks for all the great shows!

Everyone who has watched me play, thanks a bunch!

I guess since Broken Scar started as a solo singer songwriter outfit, Broken Scar is coming with me wherever I go. I guess I could continue this dream and passion over there in Melbourne and see what happens. I can't tell the future and I can only hope for the best. It's a big step and a huge sacrifice to leave all these great friends behind.

My dad asked me why I come back so late at night these days. More like early in the morning. I simply answered, "I just wanted to spend as much time as possible with my friends as well as push my music as far as possible. Do as many gigs while I can with the time I have left."

This is by far one of the biggest and most difficult decisions I have to make in my life. I've been torn apart in every angle possible. Well, if you've read this far, poke fun at me, call me emo, but I don't care. I have every right to be. I'm struggling with a heavy heart as I write this, flipping back and forth in my mind, "Should I go or should I stay? What do I do?"

Nine out of ten people I've spoken to about this said, "go, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, seize it and go. Experience it."

Damn, I better stop here before this letter starts to sound like a suicide note.

P/S: I’ll definitely have more to say about this and there’ll be more emo posts to follow up, I’m sure.

12 Responses to “Sticky: Leaving For Melbourne”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Hey Kev,

    You have every right to be emotional about decisions like that...It is easy to tell why, your music from your singles, album to live shows... could sense the passion and love you have for Broken Scar.

    Filter the negative and embrace the opportunity with new experience that you'll be gaining in Melbourne :)

    Don't let it bug you too much buddy... Rock and own the stage at Laundry coming Thursday ;) I'll be there!

    Keep it rocking, even when you're in Melbourne! Stay positive! (You might even win yourself an ARIA while you're at it! hehe)

    Cheers buddy!
    Will~  

  2. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    Wow, thanks for all the encouragement and kind words Will. Really lifted my spirits in this time of need. Won't dwell on the negative, tho it's a difficult task to do.It's not so much a bad thing, it's more like, realising how good things are and cherishing them. I guess it's a human flaw, we just want what we can't get. hehe  

  3. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hey dude, I'm Yan from Singapore. I was lookin up for SAE Melbourne pics over the net n stumbled into ure blogsite. So u r goin to melbourne for ure degree. cool...i'm goin there as well but to do the diploma first en hopefully the degree. startin in aug. aitez...good luck n hope will b of aquaintance ere...cheers  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    you're welcome dude. i learn a lot from you too!  

  5. # Blogger benalog

    wahaha...SAE hey? hows Guru treating you? i had my best year there with FT12...no stress my man...as long as u choose to continue, it will happen, no matter where you go, it will follow you...  

  6. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    Hey Yan, thanks for dropping by. Feel free to email me at brokenscarmail@gmail.com
    Melbourne is pretty much Malaysia/Singapore with more mat sallehs. So I think we'll get around just fine. A million and one gigs to go to too.

    You're the best Az!

    benalog,thanks for dropping by dude. How did you find me blog by the way? I graduated with the dip in 2003 and have been working since. Even while I was at SAE I was doing part time jobs, so much so I've gotten so used to working. It'll need some adjustment back to studies. Guru has been a great lecturer and a mentor. Had my best years at SAE. Will not trade it for anythign in the world. Glad you had a ball too dude.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    it's like writing your last words or something.. don't lah so emo.. you can still play/promote your music at cafes/bars there what =))

    come back rich with experiences and who knows you'll get a kick-ass album next =))

    all the best ya
    cyber-red.blogspot.com  

  8. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    Awww...dD, like I said, you would definitely understand. Never givin up girl!

    Reta, it's more like a thank you note more than last words. hehe. It's not so much being afraid of changes or challenges. It's more leaving so many awesome people behind. But with the internet these days, we can always keep in touch.

    So all you people, keep it coming!  

  9. # Anonymous Anonymous

    being emo is being human. going to aussie could be your golden opportunity you dont wanna miss!

    well besides finishing your degree there aussie can be a place for you to boarden your music horizon.

    "Life is like a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you gonna get."

    all the best to ya, mate!

    jillian  

  10. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Yo Kev, this is probably the lamest post but, best of luck! Get a degree, come back, and make more music!

    kong  

  11. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    No worries Kong, I'll be making music no matter where I am. Hehe. Thanks heaps for the encouragement bro! Hope all is well on your end man!  

  12. # Blogger Effa

    Oh Kevin, you write as if you're never coming back. You ARE coming back right?

    Well either way, it has been a great pleasure to befriend such a kind and friendly individual such as yourself. Not to mention talented of course.:)

    You are blessed with opportunities most people yearn for, and it is only right that you explore these opportunities the best you can.

    Don't think about it as 'leaving' your friends. But rather as 'extended holiday while being extra studious'. :P

    Whens the big departure date la? I've got a gig at KLCC for you either on Sept 15,16,17 but dunno whether or not ur still in town. Have u deflowered KLCC yet with your entrancing vibes? Here's your chance! :P  

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.