Soundwave Festival 2008

What's Soundwave? You should know this, but hey, for the benefit of those who don't, it's a music festival of the finest bands of today! When I saw the advertisement for the festival last year, I laughed out loud, thinking that it was definitely just a hoax. I was in denial. Who wouldn't be? I mean what are the odds of having so many international acts playing on the same day? Then it slowly kicked in that it wasn't a dream, my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and it was definitely real.

To me, this beats Big Day Out, any time! I normally hate festivals. I've only been to a very select few and one of them was Pushover 2007 because Silverchair was playing. I mean, check out the line-up for Soundwave. I'd be insane if I had to pass this up. The line-up was just too strong to say no to, although I hate festivals.

The Line-Up
THE OFFSPRING * INCUBUS * ALEXISONFIRE * KILLSWITCH ENGAGE * THURSDAY * INFECTIOUS GROOVES * AS I LAY DYING * MOTION CITY SOUNDTRACK * SAOSIN * PLAIN WHITE T’s * JIM WARD (Sparta) *CITY AND COLOUR* SCARY KIDS SCARING KIDS * BOYS LIKE GIRLS * HONESTLY * MINDLESS SELF INDULGENCE * SHADOWS FALL * MEWITHOUTYOU (Aaron & Mike Acoustic) * THE DEAR HUNTER * BLEEDING THROUGH * CARPATHIAN * SUGARCULT * * ALL TIME LOW * FROM AUTUMN TO ASHES * THE STARTING LINE * AS TALL AS LIONS (Acoustic) * KEVIN DEVINE * MAE * THE RECEIVING END OF SIRENS * STILL REMAINS * SOCRATIC * DIVINE HERESY * ENVY ON THE COAST * HASTE THE DAY * MADINA LAKE * THE MATCHES * MY AMERICAN HEART * HALIFAX * THE FALL OF TROY

So, we arrived at the show grounds at around 12:30 PM or so and the line was huge! There were heaps of people there already and the festival vibe was definitely right! There were 5 stages all together. Two big ones out door - Stages 1 & 2, a smaller outdoor one - Stage 5 and two indoor ones - Stages 3 & 4 which were inside a warehouse like build-up. There were just way too many bands playing and it was impossible to catch them all. So important decisions needed to be made. With the playing schedule in hand, I decided that I would catch all the bands that I really love and have not seen live before. After plotting it out, it turns out that most of my favourite bands were playing at Stage 4, the metal stage!


L-R: Stage 1 & Stage 2 @ 12:30 PM


From Autumn To Ashes @ Stage 4.

I pretty much launched straight into it. I read the Soundwave forums that FATA wasn't able to make it but it turns out they rocked up for the Melbourne show. This is the new line-up, with a proper singer this time round. It was definitely a better performance this time compared to the last time they played at The HiFi. I could hardly recognised them though as they look different from the last time I saw them. Either that, or it could have been a random band playing FATA songs. Correct me if I'm wrong.


Halifax @ Stage 1

I think this was Halifax. I saw so many bands, I could hardly remember much.


Fall Of Troy @ Stage 4.

These guys were awesome. Although they were just a three piece, they rock out big time. it's amazing how the guitarist could play all those crazy licks while singing!


Boys Like Girls @ Stage 2

Somehow, the sound on both Stages 1 and 2 were just not as good as the indoor stages. I'm guessing it was the massive wind that threw the sound all over the place. Gotta do some research on that. Audio Technology, anyone?

The sound was a bit choked when Boys Like Girls played. Everything was audible, but it was just lacking that power and the cutting edge. They were still pretty freaking awesome though. Great band to watch live. The lead singer reminds me a little bit of Greenday's Billie Joe. Great charisma.



The Starting Line @ Stage 1

I think they played heaps of new stuff. I couldn't recognise much of the songs. I didn't stay for the entire set because I went to catch Sugarcult.


Sugarcult @ Stage 3

These guys were spot on too! Out of all the stages from the start of the day till here, these guys sounded the best! It was pretty loud in here too and I had to use my earplugs. It's great to finally get to catch these guys live.




Outside Stage 3

This was when Sugarcult had just finished and everyone was herding out to either head to the toilets, the bars or to smoke.


The sea of people




Still Remains @ Stage 4




With The Starting Line. We bumped into the boys a little before Mae started playing at Stage 3.


Mae @ Stage 3

I didn't stick around to watch much of Mae because well, the metal stage was calling out for me!


The circle pit, courtesy of Bleeding Through. It doesn't seem like much in the photo. I should probably upload a video of it to show its full effect.


Bleeding Through @ Stage 4

Alda, this is for you. Digital speakers speakers my ass! (Sorry, inside joke. haha)


Haste The Day @ Stage 4

These guys were one of the three biggest highlights of the festival for me. Dream come true #1. That's one band that I can tick off the "Bands I Must See Live" list. These guys were awesome. I saw some live videos on YouTube and they sounded great. I just had to see it for myself. I was blown away!




Stage 1 @ around 7 PM


Alexisonfire @ Stage 1

This was in between the change-over at Stage 4 and me buying merch. I didn't stick around too long as well as I've seen these guys not too long ago.


Shadows Fall @ Stage 4

These guys were just as metal as metal can get!


Jim Ward @ Stage 5

I had to pop by Stage 5 to check it out. This was the only time I stepped by this stage throughout the entire day. I just caught a little bit of the last song.


Incubus @ Stage 2

I told myself I wouldn't catch Incubus because I've lost interest in them but since it was change-over time at Stage 4, I thought, what the heck! They actually played their hits this time round, so it was pretty cool. The sound at this stage improved though. I'm guessing it's the engineer + getting the good console. There were 4 or 5 consoles at the control area for Stages 1 & 2 by the way.

When a band was playing on Stage 1, the next band scheduled to play on Stage 2 will be sound checking and vice versa. There was very little change over time. The dust at these stages was just madness though. If you look at the pictures and go, "why are the pictures so blur and grainy?", that's the dust. It was all over the place.


As I Lay Dying @ Stage 4

Dream come true #2! Wow, what can I say? I took out my earplugs and decided to fully enjoy the show. It was time to headbang, big time! Another band to tick off in the "Bands I Must See Live" list.


Killswitch Engage @ Stage 4

Dream come true #3. This was the ultimate closing for the night. It was between these guys and The Offspring and I thought, I've missed these guys twice already and missing them this time would just be a stupid thing to do. So yes, I made Stage 4 my Sooundwave home! It was definitely worth waiting for them all day. I could have left earlier in the day with my friends, but I decided to stay. I was dead tired and my legs were gonna break but it was all worth it. I made new friends at the metal stage. There were kids being idiots all over, pushing through here and there but there were some real cool people here too.

Oh, KsE made the crowd do the "wall of death", where the crowd splits into two right in the middle and when the music comes back in, they run into each other. I was standing at stage left, quite far up the front and when this happened, everyone fell over each other. I spent almost half a song trying to help people get up. There were funny moments at Soundwave for sure. This dude fell over, he was lying on the ground on his back and another dude landed on him. All I heard was, "my balls!!!". It's funny now, but I doubt it was funny for him.

KsE played an awesome set, mixed up with old and new songs. My Last Serenade was a killer! I just loved the squeals Adam did. It was squeal-fest! Adam's guitar was significantly louder than Joel's. Maybe that's because I'm standing on stage left and the engineer was running a stereo mix. It's amazing how these guys play and sing spot on while flying around the stage like maniacs. There's definitely no excuse for not being perfect on stage while putting on great theatrics.

The conclusion; by the end of the day, I had spent too much money on merch and ended up coming home with the shape of sunnies perpetually on my face, in other words, I got sunburnt. It was pretty cold and I even had my hoodie on. I was indoors most of the time and yet I got sunburnt. It was an awesome day out at the festival.
______________________________________________________
Broken Scar's album, Midnight In St. Kilda is available on www.mytracks.com/brokenscar

1 Responses to “Soundwave Festival 2008”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    hurrah for soundwave! *fie cheers* finally uploaded the pics and managed to scav yours off ro's facebook :)  

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.