The Popcorn Incident


Too many pictures too little words. So here comes a little story to accompany all these visuals.

As you as see in the picture above, it looks like some kind of bag is inside the microwave. I was just thinking aloud, “hey, won’t it be cool if they have microwavable popcorn?” and guess what, they do! It comes in a little packet, not larger than a bar of those Cadbury chocolates but once you put it in the microwave it expands.

So before I started, I made sure I read the instructions. It says:
1. Make sure bag does not touch the sides of the microwave
2. Set microwave to “high” for 1 to 5 minutes. Do not pass 5 minutes.

Simple enough. I set the microwave to 4 minutes just to be safe.

One minute passed. The smell of the butter was excellent.
Two minutes passed. Starts popping.
Three minutes passed. Popping like a war zone in the microwave.Four minutes passed. Chaos! The microwave started to smoke! The bag caught fire! But once I opened the microwave, there was no more fire, leaving thick smoke!

It was the bag catching fire that was the irritating part, it was the smoke alarm that won’t quit ringing high frequencies into our ears! I fanned the room, opened all the windows to let the smoke escape. This is by far the coolest experience ever man! Can add this to the coffee shop story telling list. Thank God I didn’t burn the house down.

Because of this first failure, I bought another pack and gave it another go just a few days ago. I set it to 3 minutes this time and stood right in front of the microwave, ready to press the stop button if it catches fire again. This time round, it worked and we had a good time laughing about it. The end.

5 Responses to “The Popcorn Incident”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    oi kawan! KL also got microwaveable popcorn lah! Hahahaha...Kampung lah u!  

  2. # Blogger su-ann

    hehehe, yeah kl does have microwave popcorn.. and i usually set it to 2-2.5 mins :)  

  3. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    I'll take a picture of the pack the next time round. Haha. How much is it back home anyway? It's 1buck aussie here.  

  4. # Blogger Julz

    getting the kitchen burn...haha sounds like a weekly routine here at my place. I remembered the first time I tried to cook rice with the microwave, not only my rice didn't cook, the tuperware melted on top of my rice. :{  

  5. # Blogger Kevin Broken Scar

    The alarm is very irritating and way too sensitve. Can't cook like a typical chinaman, big fire, super hot wok. All that out the window. Haha.

    Wei, didnt you read the instructions or the microwave's manual? no plastic, no metal, no foil...hahaha. I've learnt my lessons from mistakes like that too la. its all good. haha. part of the learning process.  

Post a Comment



Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Who Is Broken Scar:


    Loves Jesus. Singer. Guitarist. Songwriter. Audio Engineer. Producer. Wears band t-shirts. Wears red t-shirts. Based in Melbourne.



    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast

    Broken%20Scar
    Quantcast




    XML
    Sign my Guestbook from Bravenet.com 




    © 2015 Writings In The Sand
    No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.